Southern Durham exploded to a 27-7 halftime lead and never looked back in a 39-28 victory over neighbor rival Hillside in Friday night’s Bull City Labor Day Classic on North Carolina Central’s campus. The win is the Spartans’ second straight over the Hornets in a game that wasn’t as close as the score.
With less than a minute left before halftime, Hillside drove to the Southern 5 but couldn’t get in the end zone. A 26-yard field goal went wide right. Southern upped its lead to 33-7 on its first possession of the third quarter and the rout was on.
Three who mattered
Southern running back and UNC recruit Jordon Brown ran for two touchdowns and threw for another.
Spartans quarterback Jalen Greene threw for two TDs and ran for another.
Southern linebacker Jaleel Scroggins was a monster with 15 tackles, half for loss.
By the numbers
• 1:07: Time it took for Southern to score on its first possession.
• Minus-2 yards: A punt by Hillside that allowed Southern to throw a 47-yard TD pass.
• 3: TDs Southern scored on its first three possessions.
• 3: Punts Hillside kicked on its first three possessions.
• 3 interceptions by Greene despite the win.
• 6 TDs combined by Greene and Brown.