Local

Drowning victim pulled from Neuse River near Raleigh Beach on Saturday

In a file photo, paddlers enjoy the Neuse River near the site of the former Milburnie Dam.
In a file photo, paddlers enjoy the Neuse River near the site of the former Milburnie Dam. News & Observer file photo

A man drowned in the Neuse River near the site of the old Milburnie Dam on Saturday afternoon.

On Sunday, Wake County Sheriff’s Office identified the victim as Adrian Basilio. He was 39 years old.

Someone called 911 about 4:30 p.m. to report a possible drowning at Raleigh Beach, near where the Neuse River Greenway Trail crosses the river off Loch Raven Parkway, according to the Wake County Sheriff’s Office. Witnesses said a man went under the water and never resurfaced, the Sheriff’s Office said.

Agencies from Wake County, Raleigh, Knightdale and Wake Forest spent about two hours searching for the man, before recovering his body, according to the sheriff’s office.

The Raleigh Beach area has been the site of numerous drownings over the year. Last year, four people drowned near the Milburnie Dam river access, named for a timber, stone and concrete dam that was removed in late 2017, restoring the river’s flow for the first time since the late 1700s.

This story was originally published June 14, 2025 at 9:24 PM.

Related Stories from Raleigh News & Observer
Richard Stradling
The News & Observer
Richard Stradling covers transportation for The News & Observer. Planes, trains and automobiles, plus ferries, bicycles, scooters and just plain walking. He’s been a reporter or editor for 38 years, including the last 26 at The N&O. 919-829-4739, rstradling@newsobserver.com.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER