The Catholic Diocese of Raleigh is collecting donations for the victims of the fatal scaffolding collapse in downtown Raleigh last week.
Three men were killed and one injured when a work platform fell from the side of the Charter Square building on March 23. Now their families face expenses ranging from medical care to the transportation of their bodies. Some of the men left young children.
The church will collect donations online through the website of Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Raleigh Inc., at http://bit.ly/ralgive. Under “Donation Information,” select “Scaffolding Accident Support Fund” to send money to the victims’ families.
“This comes in response to an outpouring of community support in which many have voiced an interest in donating,” Catholic Charities said in a written release.
Never miss a local story.
All four workers injured and killed in last week’s collapse at the Charter Square building on Fayetteville Street were Latino men. Anderson Antones de Almeida, 33, and Jose Erasmo Hernandez, 41, both of Durham, died in the accident, as did Jose Luis Lopez-Ramirez, 33, of Clinton. Elmer Guevara, 53, of Durham was severely injured.
State officials say it could be months before investigators determine why the scaffolding collapsed.
Catholic Charities representatives will meet with all of the men’s families in the coming weeks to determine their needs. It’s unclear how exactly the money will be divided, but Bishop Michael Burbidge has promised that “every donation will go directly to the victims’ families.”
“The suffering of these four families is simply unimaginable. The men who died and the man suffering from his injuries were working hard to provide for their families,” Gary Skinner, executive director of the charity, said in a written release.
“We pray that those in the community would respond generously to assist our brothers and sisters in need. Of all the challenges these families face, perhaps we can at least alleviate some of the financial hardship.”