Police charged a Raleigh man Tuesday with sex crimes involving a preteen girl between mid-2013 and this summer, and officials said he was arrested as he was making arrangements to leave the U.S. for Mexico within hours.
Miguel Rubio Cortez, 62, was arrested on a warrant that police swore out last week. Records showed they caught up with him in the early evening on Spring Forest Road.
A magistrate set Cortez’s bail at $3 million, noting that he “was making arrangements to go to Mexico tonight; defendant is a flight risk.”
Arrest warrants charged Cortez with three counts of first-degree sex offense with a child and specified the victim was under 13 years old.
Never miss a local story.
Police said the victim was a girl and that he and she knew each other before the time when police alleged the incidents happened, between June 21, 2013, and last July 31.
Police also charged Cortez with taking indecent liberties with a child during the same time.
The arrest warrant listed Cortez as living at the Village of Pickwick apartment complex at 3912 Paddington Court, but he was booked into jail without any permanent address.
Court records showed that federal officials found Cortex, a Mexican native, is in the U.S. legally.
He was scheduled for a Wednesday court appearance.