Regarding the April 24 letter “‘Yow’s pow’ lacks ‘wow’”questioning reasons for N.C. State athletic director Debbie Yow’s recent raise and contract extension: After playing three sports at State in the 1950s, I have personally known every athletic director over the last 60 years.
Debbie Yow has the smarts, toughness, creativity and focus more than any.
These simple facts might also be considered:
▪ Her salary doesn’t come from the general budget (like faculty/staff), and it’s only middle in the ACC.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Her contract extension takes her to probable retirement in 2019.
▪ All her new hires are doing better than predecessor coaches, and her holdovers are doing well.
▪ Long-needed facility improvements such as Reynolds Coliseum renovation and new indoor practice facility are underway.
▪ Our N.C. State Varsity Club (former athletes) honored her with an ACC basketball two weeks ago inscribed for “academic and athletic excellence done the RIGHT way.”
▪ N.C. State has dramatically moved up the Directors’ Cup standings faster than any other school over past four years.
▪ Finally, her sister legacy with Hall of Fame women’s basketball coach Kay Yow and All-American Susan Yow speaks for itself.
I am thrilled that Debbie Yow is home at N.C. State. The “Yow wow” is real.
Robert P. Kennel