North Carolina, Wake Forest and N.C. State will open the NCAA tournament on Friday. The Tar Heels and Demon Deacons are regional hosts while the Wolfpack has to travel to Lexington, Ky.
Seven ACC teams, and five teams from the state of North Carolina, made the 64-team field, which was unveiled on Monday.
Never miss a local story.
UNC, the No. 2 national seed, will host Davidson on Friday at 6 p.m. at Boshamer Stadium in Chapel Hill. Florida Gulf Coast and Michigan are the other two teams in the four-team, double-elimination regional in Chapel Hill.
N.C. State starts the tournament on Friday against Indiana at 7 p.m. Host Kentucky faces Ohio University at noon.
Wake Forest, a regional host for the first time since 2002, faces Maryland-Baltimore County at 7 p.m. in Winston-Salem. West Virginia and Maryland are the other two teams in the Deacs’ regional.
UNC-Greensboro also made the field and will open with Clemson, the regional host, on Friday at 7 p.m.
The selection committee seeds the top eight teams in the field. UNC and Louisville (No. 7) were the only ACC teams to get national seeds. Florida State, Clemson and Wake Forest were also chosen as regional hosts. N.C. State and Virginia are the only two ACC teams who have to start the tournament on the road.
Notably missing from the ACC was Miami. The Hurricanes had made the tournament 44 years in a row.
NCAA baseball tournament
Chapel Hill regional
1. UNC (47-12) vs. 4. Davidson (32-24), 6 p.m.
2. Florida Gulf Coast (42-18) vs. 3. Michigan (42-15), 1 p.m.
1. Wake Forest (39-18) vs. 4. Md. Baltimore County (23-23), 7 p.m.
2. West Virginia (34-24) vs. 3. Maryland (37-21), 2 p.m.
1. Kentucky (39-20) vs. 4. Ohio (31-26), noon
2. Indiana (33-22-2) vs. 3. NC State (34-23), 7 p.m.
1. Clemson (39-19) vs. UNCG (35-22), 7 p.m.
2. Vanderbilt (33-22-1) vs. No. 3 St. John’s (42-11), noon