Math is not necessarily considered delicious. It's important, of course, especially for counting chicken wings and calculating the perfect ratio of crispy crust to melty center of a mac and cheese, but tasty it is not.
But on Wednesday, March 14, we celebrate Pi Day, a holiday devoted to the mathematical constant Pi, without which we wouldn't know jack about circles.
Pi Day, 3-14, is rightfully celebrated with the two of the most delicious circles on earth: pies and pizza. We also know it comes one day before the Ides of March, because math.
Here are some of the tastiest deals and delicacies offered by pie shops and pizzerias this Pi Day.
▪ Bittersweet, 16 E. Martin St., Raleigh, has a pie lineup of strawberry cheesecake, key lime pie, Derby and peanut butter. Unfortunately Pi Day doesn't align with half-price pie day (that was Monday).
▪ Bojangles, which needs no introduction, is offering three of its sweet potato handpies for $3.14.
▪ The Pie Hole, 810 9th St., Suite 130, Durham is going all out with $3.14 slices of classic key lime pie and $3.14 lattes. In the evening, they're hosting a wine and pie pairing. They're giving away free mini savory pies with every purchase.
▪ Rose's Noodles, Dumplings and Sweets, 121 N. Gregson St., Durham is making its first foray into ice cream pies to commemorate Pi Day.
▪ Scratch Bakery, 2022 Chapel Hill Road, Durham is selling slices of pie for $3.14 apiece. (A reminder that Scratch Bakery's original downtown Durham location closed last month. The pie special can be found at the "Baby Scratch" location in the Lakewood area, next to owner Phoebe Lawless' restaurant, The Lakewood).
And for the pizza pies
▪ Pie Pushers is celebrating its 7th anniversary on Pi Day, offering $7 whole cheese pizzas at its brick-and-mortar shop in Durham.
▪ Blaze Pizza, which counts LeBron James among its investors and has four locations in the Triangle, will be offering $3.14 whole pizzas.