Teen suspect in Wake County woman’s killing arrested after schools put on alert
Hours after putting Raleigh high schools on alert, police have found a teen murder suspect Friday who was seen on three campuses this week.
Raleigh police and the Wake County Sheriff’s Office arrested Syncere Pigford, a juvenile with an outstanding secure-custody order for murder. Officials declined to say where or when the arrest occurred.
Pigford was seen at Broughton, Enloe and Athens Drive high schools in Raleigh on Wednesday and Thursday, according to law enforcement and the Wake County school system.
Pigford is charged in the June 30 killing of Serenity Spencer, 24, in Wendell. Spencer was fatally shot during a gathering at a home on Hodge Road, investigators said.
Brothers Kahlil Hahson Atkinson, 18, of Raleigh and Xavier Don Ameche Atkinson, 19, of Knightdale were arrested and charged with murder earlier this week in Spencer’s death. They are being held without bail at the Wake County Detention Center.
The Sheriff’s Office said at that time of their arrest that a third, juvenile suspect in the case was at large.
Pigford was identified at all three schools by administrators as a trespasser and was removed from campus. But, according to the school system, the schools did not know he was a suspect in a homicide investigation.
The Wake County Public School System sent an email Friday morning to families at Raleigh high schools about the search.
“The Raleigh Police Department and Wake County Sheriff’s Office are actively searching for Pigford,” the email said. “In response, we have increased security measures at all Raleigh high schools to ensure the safety of our students and staff.”
This story was originally published September 6, 2024 at 8:33 AM.