Politics & Government

NC operative Dowless rejects plea deal on ballot fraud accusations. Here’s what’s next

Potentially facing years in prison over accusations that he ran an absentee ballot scheme to fraudulently boost Republican politicians in 2016 and 2018, North Carolina political operative McCrae Dowless rejected a plea deal in court Monday morning.

He appears set to fight the charges and could go to trial next summer.

Wake County District Attorney Lorrin Freeman has charged Dowless with 13 felonies. Most are related to the 2018 election in which Dowless was hired to help Mark Harris, a Baptist preacher from Charlotte who was running for Congress as a Republican in the 9th Congressional District, which at the time stretched from the Charlotte suburbs east to Bladen County.

On Monday Freeman said she has offered Dowless a plea deal in which he would agree not to work on elections in the future, but receive little prison time, if he pleads guilty to all but one of the charges he’s facing.

Dowless has already been sentenced to six months in federal prison for fraudulently taking Social Security disability payments while also working for various political campaigns in southeastern North Carolina. He made that plea deal in June, The News & Observer reported.

Freeman said Monday her offer included a year in prison that would run concurrently to Dowless’ federal sentence — meaning if he took the deal, he would only spend an extra six months behind bars in addition to the six-month sentence he is about to begin for the disability fraud.

Dowless shot it down.

“We are preparing our defenses now,” said his attorney, Drew Sprague of Raleigh.

Dowless pleaded not guilty to all charges on Monday.

In a confusing series of events Monday morning, many in court heard Sprague say “guilty” to one set of charges, sending a low rumble of murmurs throughout the otherwise silent courtroom. Freeman later said that was a mistake, though, and would be corrected later.

There is still time for the situation to change. Dowless is scheduled to begin his federal prison sentence in a little over two weeks on Dec. 1, and Freeman said she would keep her offer on the table until then.

“If convicted he certainly could face a multiple-year sentence,” she said.

Superior Court Judge Keith Gregory addressed Dowless directly about that Monday, making sure he knew that he is facing a potentially long stint in prison if he rejects the plea deal but is later found guilty at trial.

“Your exposure is significant,” he said, noting the multiple felony charges.

Dowless told him he understood.

NC9 background

Harris initially appeared to have won his congressional race in 2018 against Democrat Dan McCready. But state elections officials didn’t certify the results and instead investigated reports of absentee ballot fraud, which they said pointed to Dowless, a longtime political insider in rural Bladen County.

After a months-long investigation and multiple days of hearings that made national news, Harris agreed that the election should be redone and that he would not run a second time.

Elections officials then sent their findings to Freeman for potential criminal charges. She cleared Harris of any crimes last year, after earlier leveling charges against Dowless and six others who allegedly worked with him.

Earlier this year The New York Times podcast “Serial” published a five-episode series that looked into not only Dowless and his work for Republicans, but also the Democratic-affiliated group Bladen Improvement Association. That group has been accused by Republicans of using many of the same tactics, although no one has been charged.

For more North Carolina government and politics news, listen to the Under the Dome politics podcast from The News & Observer and the NC Insider. You can find it at link.chtbl.com/underthedomenc or wherever you get your podcasts.

Under the Dome

On The News & Observer's Under the Dome podcast, we’re unpacking legislation and issues that matter, keeping you updated on what’s happening in North Carolina politics on Monday mornings. Check us out here and sign up for our weekly Under the Dome newsletter for more political news.

This story was originally published November 15, 2021 at 1:07 PM.

Will Doran
The News & Observer
Will Doran reports on North Carolina politics, particularly the state legislature. In 2016 he started PolitiFact NC, and before that he reported on local issues in several cities and towns. Contact him at wdoran@newsobserver.com or (919) 836-2858.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER