Politics & Government

Fort Liberty will be Fort Bragg again. But there’s a twist to the controversial name

Less than two years after Fort Bragg officially became Fort Liberty, the North Carolina Army base’s name is changing back to Fort Bragg.

U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth ordered Army officials Monday to change the name. But it’s not the same soldier for whom the base was initially named.

Instead of renaming the base after Gen. Braxton Bragg, the native North Carolinian and Confederate leader who the base had been named after in 1918, Hegseth said Monday night the installation would be named after Pfc. Roland L. Bragg, a soldier who was assigned to the 18th Airborne Corps and was stationed at Fort Bragg during World War II.

“Bragg is back,” Hegseth said in a video posted on social media after signing a memorandum directing the Army to take steps to rename the base, while on board a C-17 en route to Stuttgart, Germany.

Roland Bragg earned a Silver Star for “conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity,” and a Purple Heart “for wounds sustained,” during the Battle of the Bulge, according to the memo ordering the base’s name change.

During the battle, Bragg saved another soldier’s life “by commandeering an enemy ambulance and driving it 20 miles to transport a fellow wounded warrior to an allied hospital in Belgium,” the memo states.

Roland Bragg, left, and John Martz were reunited in 1994 after their service in World War II. Fort Bragg is now named for Bragg, a paratrooper from Maine who rescued Martz in a stolen ambulance.
Roland Bragg, left, and John Martz were reunited in 1994 after their service in World War II. Fort Bragg is now named for Bragg, a paratrooper from Maine who rescued Martz in a stolen ambulance. Screenshot from newspapers.com

Trump campaigned for name change

The Trump administration was expected to move to rename Fort Liberty after President Donald Trump criticized the renaming of Fort Bragg on the campaign trail last year and vowed during a rally in Fayetteville, home to the military base, to restore the installation’s name.

In the memo, Hegseth said that Fort Bragg, which was originally named Camp Bragg, has been home to tens of thousands of soldiers who have trained and deployed from the installation to “crises and conflicts around the world in defense of our nation.”

“Fort Bragg has a long and proud history of equipping, training, and preparing our Soldiers to fight and prevail in any operational environment,” Hegseth said.

Hegseth said his directive to rename the base “honors the personal courage and selfless service of all those who have trained to fight and win our nation’s wars, including Pfc. Bragg, and is in keeping with the installation’s esteemed and storied history.”

The memo directs the Secretary of the Army to “take all steps necessary and appropriate actions to implement this decision in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.” It orders the Army to advise the Department of Defense of its plan for implementation, including “timelines and resource requirements.”

Read Next

History of Fort Bragg name change

Fort Bragg, one of the largest military bases in the world, is home to the Army’s 18th Airborne Corps, the 82nd Airborne Division and the U.S. Army Special Operations Command.

It was renamed Fort Liberty in June 2023, after a commission established by Congress to rename military installations named after Confederate leaders recommended changing the name of the installation and eight others.

Army officials were “exploring legal ways to change the base’s name without violating the law that bans the use of confederate names,” NBC News reported Friday.

The news outlet reported officials were considering Roland Bragg as an option.

The commission that recommended the name change to Fort Liberty had also considered naming the base after another soldier named Bragg, NBC News reported.

This story was originally published February 10, 2025 at 9:26 PM.

Related Stories from Raleigh News & Observer
Avi Bajpai
The News & Observer
Avi Bajpai is a state politics reporter for The News & Observer. He previously covered breaking news and public safety. Contact him at abajpai@newsobserver.com or (919) 346-4817.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER