Politics & Government

Republicans settle with DNC in lawsuit that sought to purge 225,000 NC voters

The settlement stems from a 2024 lawsuit in which the RNC had attempted to have roughly 225,000 North Carolina voters removed from the rolls.
The settlement stems from a 2024 lawsuit in which the RNC had attempted to have roughly 225,000 North Carolina voters removed from the rolls.
Key Takeaways
Key Takeaways

AI-generated summary reviewed by our newsroom.

Read our AI Policy.


  • RNC agrees to drop effort to purge ~225,000 NC voters under settlement.
  • State Board will continue the 'Registration Repair' program for incomplete registrations.
  • Settlement requires judge approval to become final; legal disputes continued into 2025.

A Republican-led effort to purge roughly 225,000 North Carolina voters from the state’s rolls would be largely abandoned under a settlement agreement that national Democrats and Republicans filed in federal court on Monday.

The deal between the Democratic National Committee and Republican National Committee must still be approved by a judge for it to become final.

“While the RNC has waged an all-out assault on voters in North Carolina, we have been fighting like hell to protect the sacred right to vote — and we will never back down,” DNC Chair Ken Martin said in a statement. “This latest victory is a win for Americans and yet another blow to the Republicans’ scheme to disenfranchise voters ahead of the midterm elections.”

In a statement on Tuesday, RNC Chair Joe Gruters also claimed the settlement as a victory, noting that the board has agreed to not accept new voter registrations from applicants who don’t provide certain identifying information.

“The parties’ agreement to enter into a consent judgment is a major win for election integrity and a clear rebuke of Democrats who tried to weaken basic safeguards,” Gruters said.

“For too long, North Carolina’s State Board of Elections failed to meet basic safeguards that protect our elections. Democrats in North Carolina want to count ballots without a driver’s license number or Social Security Number as required by the law. The RNC will always fight to ensure our election laws are clear, fair, and consistently enforced.”

Under the settlement, the RNC agrees to drop its effort to purge the contested voters in exchange for the State Board of Elections continuing to carry out its “Registration Repair” program.

Through the program, which the board approved last year, the state is contacting North Carolinians with incomplete voter registrations and asking them to provide the missing information.

Voters who fail to do so could ultimately have their ballots thrown out.

Years of court fights

Monday’s settlement stems from a 2024 lawsuit in which the Republican National Committee sued the State Board of Elections, arguing that the agency improperly allowed a quarter-million voters to register to vote without providing the required identification information.

The RNC asked that those 225,000 voters be removed from the rolls just months before the 2024 election, but a federal judge appointed by President Donald Trump rejected the request.

Since then, the lawsuit has largely laid dormant — but similar battles over voter eligibility continued.

After narrowly losing to Democratic incumbent Allison Riggs in the 2024 state Supreme Court race, Republican Jefferson Griffin began a six-month legal battle in which he attempted to throw out over 65,000 ballots cast in the race.

Among the reasons he provided for his unprecedented campaign was that some of the contested voters did not have a driver’s license number or Social Security number in the state’s database — the same argument the RNC had made in its voter purge lawsuit.

Griffin’s efforts were ultimately unsuccessful, with the same Trump-appointed judge that rejected the RNC’s lawsuit writing that the candidate could not “change the rules of the game after it had been played.”

But the debate over North Carolina’s voter rolls was still not over.

In May 2025, Trump’s Department of Justice sued the State Board of Elections over the incomplete registrations.

The board, which came under Republican control that same month, later entered into a settlement with the DOJ which resulted in the creation of the “Registration Repair” program.

This story was originally published February 16, 2026 at 5:08 PM.

Kyle Ingram
The News & Observer
Kyle Ingram is the Democracy Reporter for the News & Observer. He reports on voting rights, election administration, the state judicial branch and more. He is a graduate of the Hussman School of Journalism and Media at UNC-Chapel Hill. 
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER