Weather News

Mandatory evacuation ordered for Ocracoke as Hurricane Isaias heads toward NC

Though this article has unlimited access, you can become a subscriber to support our mission of local and public-service journalism. For more storm coverage, please consider signing up for our free email newsletters.

Hyde County Commissioners have ordered a mandatory evacuation for Ocracoke Island as a strengthened Hurricane Isaias draws near.

The order for visitors took effect at noon Friday while the evacuation for residents and property owners starts at 6 a.m. Saturday.

Earlier Friday, Commissioners declared a state of emergency for the island. Entry to the Outer Banks island is limited to residents, homeowners, vendors and essential personnel effective Friday, the commissioners said in a news release.

A re-entry pass is required on inbound ferries. Emergency officials warned that ferries leaving the sound side of the island are running at reduced capacity because of shoals. The Hatteras ferry is recommended.

Ocracoke Island experienced major flooding last year during Hurricane Dorian, and residents have been urged to complete preparations for the storm or an evacuation plan as soon as possible.

Dare County, which includes Kitty Hawk, Nags Head and the northern Outer Banks, is advising incoming visitors to consider delaying their arrival time until after the storm has passed, according to a news release. County officials will meet Saturday morning to discuss any “protective measures,” the release said.

Winds from Isaias are predicted to reach 80 mph. Emergency officials also warn of strong rip tides and high surf as the hurricane approaches.

The latest forecast has Isaias upgraded from a tropical storm to a Category 1 hurricane, McClatchy News reported Friday.

It could hit parts of Eastern North Carolina by Sunday night with tropical storm-force winds, according to the National Hurricane Center.

Rain is expected, with 1 to 4 inches of rain potentially drenching the state.

Thursday, Mike Sprayberry, North Carolina’s director of emergency management, advised residents on the coast to start their preparation plans, The News & Observer reported.

Because of the coronavirus pandemic, the traditional shelter will not be a “good primary option,” he said. People should seek inland hotels or stay with people they know.

People who need to go to shelters can visit a state reception center, where they will be directed to a non-congregate shelter, Sprayberry said. The American Red Cross and local governments will screen people at the shelters and help them maintain a social distance.

This story was originally published July 31, 2020 at 11:20 AM.

Follow More of Our Reporting on Coronavirus in North Carolina

Josh Shaffer
The News & Observer
Josh Shaffer is a general assignment reporter on the watch for “talkers,” which are stories you might discuss around a water cooler. He has worked for The News & Observer since 2004 and writes a column about unusual people and places.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER