UNC Now

UNC linebacker Chazz Surratt returning to school for his senior season 

North Carolina linebacker Chazz Surratt, who was voted first team All-ACC in 2019, is returning to school for his final year of eligibility, two sources with direct knowledge of the situation told The News & Observer.

Surratt, who graduated in December, could have gone pro after having one of the most successful seasons at linebacker in recent program history.

But he wants to continue to develop at the position.

The 6-3, 230-pound Surratt converted from quarterback to linebacker prior to the 2019 season and gained 15 pounds.

“I thought it was the best position for me to be successful and get to the next level,” Surratt told media members last month when asked why he chose linebacker.

Initially considered a work in progress at linebacker, Surratt impressed his coaches and scouts, starting with the season-opener against South Carolina. He had 12 tackles and a sack in that game.

Surratt finished second in the ACC with 115 total tackles this season. He also had 6.5 sacks, 15 tackles for loss, one forced fumble and an interception. He received the second-most votes for defensive ACC player of the year in 2019.

Last month, when asked whether he was returning for his senior season, Surratt said he wasn’t sure yet.

Surratt’s return is huge for a program looking to build off its recent success. UNC (7-6) defeated Temple 55-13 in the Military Bowl on Dec. 27, and finished with its first winning season since 2016. Surratt had five tackles and was credited with half a sack against Temple. The Tar Heels held the Owls to fewer than 275 yards.

Surratt’s conversion to linebacker was one of the biggest stories of the 2019 season. At times, he changed games. In UNC’s 21-20 loss to then No. 1-Clemson on Sept. 27, Surratt was all over the field. He had seven tackles, two tackles for loss, a sack, three quarterback pressures and two pass deflections.

In UNC’s 20-17 win over Duke on Oct. 26, he had 12 tackles, a sack and an interception at the goal line with 18 seconds left, to seal the Tar Heels’ victory.

On Monday afternoon, Surratt and junior wide receiver Dazz Newsome confirmed on social media that they were returning. Newsome was voted second team All-ACC, and finished the 2019 season with 72 receptions for 1,018 yards and 10 touchdowns.

UNC is expected to return seven of its 11 starters on defense next season and 10 of its 11 starters on offense.

This story was originally published January 6, 2020 at 12:54 PM.

Related Stories from Raleigh News & Observer
Jonathan M. Alexander
The News & Observer
Jonathan M. Alexander has been covering the North Carolina Tar Heels since May 2018. He previously covered Duke basketball and recruiting in the ACC. He is an alumnus of N.C. Central University. Support my work with a digital subscription
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER