Carolina Hurricanes

Division championship earns Canes’ Brind’Amour NHL coach of the year award

Rod Brind’Amour started Thursday with good news and ended it with more.

On the same day he signed a three-year contract extension to remain the Carolina Hurricanes head coach, Brind’Amour won the Jack Adams Award as the NHL’s coach of the year.

The NHL announced the award winner during Thursday night’s playoff game between the Tampa Bay Lightning and New York Islanders.

“This is a great honor to even be thought of in this category,” Brind’Amour said. “There’s not a coach in this league worth his weight that would say it’s about him. Winning this award is an organizational award, and I’m really proud to be accepting this on behalf of this organization.”

Carolina won the Central Division championship this season, compiling the third-most points in the league (80). It marked the first time the Hurricanes won a division title since the 2005-06 Stanley Cup championship team that Brind’Amour played on.

Earlier this month, the 50-year-old Brind’Amour was named one of three finalists for coach of the year, along with Florida’s Joel Quenneville and Minnesota’s Dean Evason.

Brind’Amour received 61 first-place votes while compiling 433 points in the voting, which was conducted by the NHL Broadcasters Association. Evason was second with 235 points, with 24 first-place votes, while Quenneville was third with 225 points, including 21 first-place votes.

“The athletes that I get to come in contact with every day, from (team captain) Jordan Staal on down,” Brind’Amour said, “we’ve got a great group here and I’m really proud to represent them.“

He’s the first coach in franchise history -- encompassing both the Hartford Whalers and Carolina Hurricanes years --to win the award.

“He’s done a tremendous job,” Carolina general manager Don Waddell said Thursday morning during a Zoom news conference to announce Brind’Amour’s new contract. “We truly believe we are headed in the right direction, so we’re very happy to get Rod signed on a long-term deal and we look forward to the next steps.”

This story was originally published June 17, 2021 at 9:08 PM.

Steve Wiseman
The News & Observer
Steve Wiseman was named Raleigh News & Observer and Durham Herald-Sun sports editor in May 2025. He covered Duke athletics, beginning in 2010, prior to his current assignment. In the Associated Press Sports Editors national contest, he placed in the top 10 in beat writing in 2019, 2021 and 2022, breaking news in 2019, event coverage in 2025 and explanatory writing in 2018. Before coming to Durham in 2010, Steve worked for The State (Columbia, SC), Herald-Journal (Spartanburg, S.C.), The Sun Herald (Biloxi, Miss.), Charlotte Observer and Hickory (NC) Daily Record covering beats including the NFL’s Carolina Panthers and New Orleans Saints, University of South Carolina athletics and the S.C. General Assembly. He’s won numerous state-level press association awards. Steve graduated from Illinois State University in 1989. 
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER