News-Star: Opinion

What is your local economy?

North Carolina has a lot of local governments. To be exact, the state has 100 counties and 552 municipalities. North Carolina is one of only seven states with triple digits in the number of counties, with Texas taking the prize at 254. We’re 18th among states in the number of municipalities, but far below the record holder of Illinois, with 2,729.

Why are classroom cuts always the first?

I understand that North Carolina school systems will have to make some potentially hard decisions if state lawmakers don’t give them wiggle room on class-size caps in grades K-3. But it seems to me the schools’ default response to unfunded state mandates is the worst-case scenario, and I have to wonder if it’s true that the only response is always the worst case.

Is farming a high-tech industry?

My paternal grandfather was a farmer in Ohio. He raised a variety of crops, but hogs were his bread and butter. In southwestern Ohio, hogs were big business a century ago. In fact, at one time Cincinnati – where I was born – was known as “Porkopolis.” Farmers like my grandfather drove their hogs from outlying farms to the packing houses in the city.

Roads can’t keep pace with development

In my way of thinking, Cleveland Road near N.C. 42 in the Cleveland community should not be heavily congested during the morning and evening commutes. It seems to me that when the state opened Interstate 40 from Raleigh to Wilmington, it would have immediately begun planning and setting aside money for the widening of Cleveland Road from N.C. 50 to at least Barber Mill Road.

Videos

Canes' Eddie Lack hurt on final play of overtime game with Detroit

Video: The Canes' goaltender Eddie Lack was injured on the final play of the game when the Detroit Red Wings' Andreas Athanasiou crashed into him after scoring the winning goal in overtime at PNC Arena Monday night. Players from both teams stayed on the ice and fans were silent and sometimes chanted Eddie's name in support. Lack was taken off on a stretcher to Rex Hospital where he is undergoing tests.
Chris Seward, Eric Frederick cseward@newsobserver.com
Canes' Eddie Lack hurt on final play of overtime game with Detroit 1:19

Canes' Eddie Lack hurt on final play of overtime game with Detroit

Canes' Faulk: 'The game is one thing, but there are some things that are more important.' 2:36

Canes' Faulk: 'The game is one thing, but there are some things that are more important.'

100 mile run? No problem for this couple in their seventies. 2:23

100 mile run? No problem for this couple in their seventies.

Catching up with Canes' Jeff Skinner 2:41

Catching up with Canes' Jeff Skinner