News-Star: Opinion

Don’t fear a robot invasion

A common theme unifying debates about tax reform in North Carolina and in Washington is the idea that the punitive tax treatment of business investment is a bad idea because it discourages the purchase of plants and equipment and, thus, job creation and income growth.

We fear what we do not understand

In 1962, I was a 21-year-old university student heading for Ajloun, Jordan, where I would spend my summer serving as a Baptist Student Union summer missionary. I would also be the first student to serve in this Middle Eastern nation. I was both excited and frightened.

Campuses should foster free speech

During my recent week as a “practitioner in residence” at Duke University, speaking to a wide range of faculty and students, I felt more than welcome on a campus where my conservative viewpoint was far from the mainstream.

Is the right thing also the wise move?

As the chief appointed advocate for Johnston County public schools, Superintendent Ross Renfrow did the right thing, submitting a budget that meets all of Johnston’s local school needs without regard for cost. But unless he gets lucky, Dr. Renfrow is delaying inevitable cuts in his spending plan.

Smithfield: Opinion

Party loyalty fuels the demise of our political system

“The actions of our fathers were the pillars of the temple of liberty; and now that they have crumbled away, that temple must fall, unless we, their descendants, supply their places with other pillars, hewn from the solid quarry of sober reason. Passion has helped us but can do so no more. It will, in the future, be our enemy. Reason –cold, calculating, unimpassioned reason – must furnish all the materials for our future support and defense. Let those materials be molded into general intelligence, sound morality and, in particular, a reverence for the Constitution and law.” Abraham Lincoln, January 1838.

Legislature returns to tax reform

North Carolina’s economy continues to expand at a relatively rapid pace. Over the last year, for example, our gross domestic product grew by 2.6 percent after inflation, compared to 1.6 percent for the nation and 2 percent for the Southeast.

Videos

Webb Simpson's take on his finish at the Wyndham Championship

Webb Simpson after third-place finish in the Wyndham Championship on Sunday.
Luke DeCock ldecock@newsobserver.com
Webb Simpson's take on his finish at the Wyndham Championship 0:30

Webb Simpson's take on his finish at the Wyndham Championship

Eclipse trivia, how much do you really know? 0:45

Eclipse trivia, how much do you really know?

Video: Watch NC NAACP president call to pull down statutes not just statues 1:23

Video: Watch NC NAACP president call to pull down statutes not just statues

UNC recruit Jordyn Adams talks about his first football game in NC 1:09

UNC recruit Jordyn Adams talks about his first football game in NC