The following events have been canceled or postponed because of the threat of Hurricane Matthew.
Friday, Oct. 7
▪ Morrisville’s Movies in the Park screening of “Jungle Book” has been canceled.
▪ Durham Parks and Recreation has cancelled all outdoor programs this weekend. Holton Career and Resource Center (401 N. Driver St.) will close early tonight at 10 p.m.
▪ The 73rd annual NC NAACP Convention, which was scheduled for October 6-8 in Raleigh, will be rescheduled at a date to be announced.
▪ The Alabama and Charlie Daniels Band show at Cary’s Booth Amphitheatre is being rescheduled to Oct. 23 at 6 p.m. All tickets will be honored for the Oct. 23 date. Ticket holders unable to attend the new date should contact point-of-purchase for a refund.
▪ The Wendell Harvest Festival, which was scheduled for Oct. 7-8, has been rescheduled for Nov. 4-5.
Saturday, Oct. 8
▪ Wake County Big Sweep: Four of the five Wake County Big Sweep events have been canceled. The event at Lake Wheeler Park in Raleigh from 9 to 11 a.m. is currently still on schedule. Volunteers who signed up for the events at Durant Nature Preserve in Raleigh, Kenneth Branch in Fuquay-Varina, Marsh Creek in Raleigh and Richland Creek in Raleigh should reach out to their zone captain for additional information.
▪ Historic Yates Mill County Park’s Natural Explorations Hike at 8:30 a.m., the Tip Top to Bottom Mill Tour at 10 a.m. and the Saturdays at the Mill Tour from 1 to 3 p.m. have been canceled.
▪ Harris Lake County Park’s Haunting at Harris event has been canceled and will not be rescheduled.
▪ Robertson Millpond Preserve: Kayak rentals will not be available this weekend. The preserve will remain open, and people may bring their own kayak or canoe.
▪ Cary’s fire department open houses will be postponed to Saturday, Oct. 15, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Fall Compost Giveaway Workshops will be rescheduled; registrants will be notified of new dates.
▪ Raleigh Little Theatre’s costume sale has been rescheduled for Saturday, Oct. 15, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. raleighlittletheatre.org
▪ Durham’s Little River Lake will be closed Oct. 8. It will reopen Sunday, Oct. 9, at 10 a.m.
▪ Celebrate Fuquay-Varina festival will now be Saturday, Nov. 5, coinciding with the Downtown Chili Cook-off held by the Fuquay-Varina Downtown Revitalization Association. The Landsharks concert scheduled Thursday, Oct. 6, will go on as scheduled from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. www.celebratefv.com.
▪ The match between the Carolina RailHawks and the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary has been postponed to Sunday, Oct. 9, at 1 p.m. Tickets for the Oct. 8 game are valid for the rescheduled game. Ticket-holders also can exchange their tickets for games on Oct. 12 or 22. Call 919-459-8144.
▪ The Durham Latino Fiesta & Soccer Challenge, which had been rescheduled for Oct. 8, has been canceled at Rock Quarry Park. The soccer tournament games will be rescheduled for a later date, but all other festival events will not be rescheduled.
▪ A rabies/microchip clinic offered by the Town of Garner at Lake Benson Park has been cancelled. No new date has been announced.
▪ A Fire Safety Day held by the Town of Morrisville has been postponed until Saturday, Oct. 15.
▪ The Shindig in downtown Clayton has been postponed until Nov. 13. www.facebook.com/TheClaytonShindig
▪ The Broadslab Distillery Shine & Shop event at Broadslab Distillery in Benson has been rescheduled for Nov. 5.
▪ Lufkin Road Middle School’s Spooky Walk and Trunk or Treat in Apex has been postponed to Oct. 15.