The sweet jittery bliss that comes from the morning’s first cup of coffee isn’t routine, it’s ritual. Whether gas station sludge, cold brew or a Guatemalan pourover with notes of cherry, America loves its coffee and may not function without it.
Friday, Sept. 29, is National Coffee Day and a number of places both local and national are celebrating with deals and events.
Here’s a round up of what we know about so far:
▪ BREW: Both the downtown Raleigh and Cary locations will offer free 12-ounce drip coffees.
▪ Caribou Coffee: 10 percent of sales of select items, including Amy’s Blend, will go to CancerCare, a nonprofit that helps those affected by cancer. The promotion continues through October.
▪ Cinnabon: There are three Cinnabon locations in Triangle malls: Streets at Southpoint in Durham and Crabtree Valley and Triangle Town Center in Raleigh. Each is offering a free 12-ounce coffee.
▪ Cocoa Cinnamon: The Lakewood Cocoa Cinnamon will host “Mexican Bingo Night” from 6 to 9 p.m. at 2013 Chapel Hill Road in Durham. Games are $1 apiece and winners will get prizes.
▪ Counter Culture: A free coffee tasting is at 10 a.m. Counter Culture’s headquarters at 812 Mallard Ave. in Durham. Throughout the day, anyone posting shots of coffee on Instagram, tag @counterculturecoffee and #nationalcoffeeday for a chance to win a three-month subscription of Counter Culture Coffee. At 7 p.m., they’ll take part in “Night of 1,000 Pours,” a nationwide charity fundraiser, by hosting a Latte Art Throwdown. Proceeds benefit the Houston Food Bank and Feeding South Florida, with $5 to attend and $10 to compete.
▪ Dunkin’ Doughnuts: All Dunkin’ locations are offering a free medium hot coffee with the purchase of a medium, large or extra-large cup of hot coffee
▪ Gloria Jeans: Located in Raleigh’s Crabtree Valley Mall, get a free 8-ounce white chocolate caramel cookie chiller or small fresh brewed coffee.
▪ Jubala: It’s not connected to National Coffee Day, but Jubala has free espresso Friday, giving customers a chance to try a different Counter Culture offering each week. There are two locations: on 2100 Hillsborough St., and at 8450 Honeycutt Road in North Raleigh.
▪ Krispy Kreme: The North Carolina-based doughnut giant is offering free coffee all weekend, turning National Coffee Day into National Coffee Weekend.
▪ McDonald’s: You can get a free McCafe Latte or Frappe if you download McDonald’s My McCafe app.
▪ Rise Biscuits and Donuts Cameron Village: Free coffee with any purchase.
▪ Sheetz: Free pumpkin pie latte if ordred from the Sheetz app.
Did we miss any? Let us know. We’ll update the list.
Drew Jackson; 919-829-4707; @jdrewjackson