Crime

Local handyman killed in ‘serious assault’ that shut down I-440 Sunday in Raleigh

An assault involving a vehicle that closed off Interstate 440 for several hours Sunday is now being investigated as a homicide, Raleigh police said Monday.

Robert Williams, a local handyman, has been identified as the victim, according to ABC11, The News & Observer’s news-gathering partner.

On Tuesday morning, police announced that a gray SUV believed to be involved in the incident, and its driver, had been located.

They announced no arrest and said they are still seeking witnesses to the incident, which happened shortly after 4 p.m. in the Western Boulevard area of I-440.

Police are also asking for camera footage that may have captured the incident.

The Raleigh Police Department is seeking the public’s assistance in identifying the owner or occupants of the vehicle pictured.
The Raleigh Police Department is seeking the public’s assistance in identifying the owner or occupants of the vehicle pictured. Raleigh Police Department

Authorities previously said officers responded to a “serious assault” at 5:27 p.m. involving a white cargo van on the westbound lanes of I-440.

Police declined to answer The News & Observer’s questions about the homicide, the victim or how the SUV may be connected.

There were 29 homicides in Raleigh as of Dec. 1, according to police. That was down from 45 homicides by the same time in 2022 and 30 homicides by the same time in 2021.

Anyone who may have information that might assist the investigation is asked to visit Crimestoppers at www.p3tips.com/89 for anonymous reporting options or call 919-996-1193.

This story was originally published December 18, 2023 at 7:23 PM.

Related Stories from Raleigh News & Observer
Aaron Sánchez-Guerra
The News & Observer
Aaron Sánchez-Guerra is a breaking news reporter for The News & Observer and previously covered business and real estate for the paper. His background includes reporting for WLRN Public Media in Miami and as a freelance journalist in Raleigh and Charlotte covering Latino communities. He is a graduate of North Carolina State University, a native Spanish speaker and was born in Mexico. You can follow his work on Twitter at @aaronsguerra.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER