New UNC football, Bill Belichick series could be in works. Here’s what we know
AI-generated summary reviewed by our newsroom.
- Hulu reportedly developing a UNC football docuseries featuring Bill Belichick.
- Original plan to air on HBO's 'Hard Knocks' halted due to creative differences.
- UNC and Hulu have not confirmed production details or release timeline yet.
There’s talk that the UNC football team is making moves into the television spotlight.
According to a report from Front Office Sports, multiple sources have confirmed that a docuseries featuring North Carolina football and Super Bowl-winning coach Bill Belichick will be released on Hulu.
However, another source with knowledge of the matter told the News & Observer on Friday that this was “speculative” and that a deal has not yet been closed.
Earlier this year, news spread that the Tar Heels and the team’s new head coach were going to be featured on a MAX “Hard Knocks”-style series, a program that showcases a behind-the-scenes look at NFL teams in the offseason, The News & Observer previously reported.
But the planned UNC series fell through days later after Belichick’s girlfriend, Jordon Hudson, “played an instrumental role in stopping the production, related to her request to be heavily involved in the project,” according to The Athletic — which Belichick addressed in a one-on-one interview on Pivot Podcast.
“‘Hard Knocks’ is training camp, and we’re not training camp. We’re just not. That’s not what we are. You know, the drama of training camp and who’s gonna get cut and all of that,” he said on the May 16 episode.
“We’re a season and they don’t want that. There’s film issues too, but forget about the film issues. Just say you could straighten all those out. The ‘Hard Knocks’ just didn’t fit for us. That’s the bottom line.”
When asked about reports of the new documentary series, a spokesperson for UNC’s athletic department told The N&O that no information was available to share.
This story was originally published July 18, 2025 at 5:14 PM.