Belichick says he’s ‘fully committed’ to UNC football amid whirlwind week
AI-generated summary reviewed by our newsroom.
- Belichick says he’s fully committed to UNC; athletics director reiterates support.
- This program is 2-3 so far this fall, marking a historically bad start against Power 4 competition
- Multiple controversies have erupted: coach suspension, documentary halted.
On Wednesday night, amid what’s already been a tumultuous bye week for coach Bill Belichick and his 2-3 UNC football team, North Carolina athletics issued a pair of brief statements from Belichick and UNC athletic director Bubba Cunningham.
“I’m fully committed to UNC Football and the program we’re building here,” Belichick’s statement said.
“Coach Belichick has the full support of the Department of Athletics and University,” Cunningham’s statement said.
The Belichick era has been off to a rough start, to say the least. The team’s 87-point margin in three losses to Power 4 programs is the program’s worst start since UNC began fielding a team in 1888. And this week, after North Carolina (2-3, 0-1 ACC) got clobbered in a 38-10 loss to Clemson, the Tar Heels couldn’t manage to stay out of the spotlight.
UNC football’s social media accounts drew controversy on Monday morning after news broke of an alleged directive from Belichick not to post Patriots-related content (even though the team contains former Tar Heels Drake Maye and Mack Hollins). Multiple sources close to the program declined to comment on this matter to the News & Observer. North Carolina’s X account posted Maye highlights later that morning.
On Monday evening, WRAL reported quarterback Gio Lopez was hospitalized after a car crash days before UNC’s season-opening loss to TCU. Another WRAL report that evening alleged a divided locker room, disorganized coaching staff and failure to communicate. The N&O has been unable to verify these claims.
On Tuesday, sources confirmed to the News & Observer that UNC football’s in-season documentary planned with Hulu and EverWonder Studio was no longer in development. That same evening, the Athletic reported UNC cornerbacks coach Armond Hawkins had been suspended in relation to extra benefits allegations that came to light from WRAL’s previous reporting. UNC officials have not responded to multiple attempts by the News & Observer to contact and confirm this report.
The WRAL report alleged some Belichick-recruited transfers, such as Washington transfers linebacker Khmori House and cornerback Thaddeus Dixon, received preferential treatment. On Wednesday, Inside Carolina reported Dixon — arguably UNC’s top NFL prospect — will be out for an extended period of time following an injury sustained in the second quarter of North Carolina’s loss to Clemson.
The rumor mill continued to spiral out of control well into Wednesday night. 247Sports reported that “potential exit strategy discussions took place” on Wednesday morning. A post from Guardian US’ Ollie Connolly on Wednesday afternoon reporting Belichick discussed buyout options “with North Carolina’s hierarchy,” among other claims, quickly gained traction on X and had over 9.7 million views as of Thursday morning. A source close to the program refuted these claims to the N&O, writing “no buyout discussions and he [Belichick] isn’t resigning.”
And, finally, on Wednesday night at 9:36 p.m., UNC athletics released its pair of statements on its official X account.
Per Belichick’s five-year contract worth $10 million annually, he is guaranteed payment for three years. Were UNC to fire Belichick without cause at or after Dec. 1, 2025, the buyout would cost North Carolina over $20 million for Belichick alone, not accounting for potential buyouts for general manager Michael Lombardi and the rest of UNC’s assistant coaching staff, which is being paid almost $7 million annually.
If NCAA infractions were committed within the program, though, UNC could terminate Belichick’s contract with cause, which could negate the buyout.
Belichick is the ninth highest-paid coach in college football and, per NC Newsline, the highest paid state employee in North Carolina history.
UNC returns to action against Cal on Friday, Oct. 17. Kickoff in Berkeley is set for 10:30 p.m. EST. The game will be televised on ESPN.
This story was originally published October 9, 2025 at 9:11 AM.