Weather News

NC is one of the most at-risk states for hurricanes, report says. Here’s why

Key Takeaways
Key Takeaways

AI-generated summary reviewed by our newsroom.

Read our AI Policy.


  • North Carolina ranks third for homes at risk from hurricane winds with 3.1 million.
  • North Carolina ranks seventh for homes at risk from hurricane storm surge.
  • Reconstruction value for at-risk North Carolina homes exceeds $1.1 trillion for winds.

North Carolina ranks among the states with the most homes at risk from hurricane winds and storm surge, according to a new report.

The state only trails Florida and Texas in a new report that estimates there are 3.1 million homes at risk in North Carolina from hurricane winds and seventh for storm surge, according to Cotality, a data and information analytics company.

The total reconstruction value cost for North Carolina homes at risk from hurricane winds tops $1.1 trillion and nearly $80 billion for homes at risk of hurricane flooding.

Charlotte and the surrounding area ranked eighth for ”moderate or greater risk to hurricane wind damage” by metropolitan area with about 850,000 homes at risk, according to the report.

“Traditional flood maps have long provided a vital baseline for the industry, but as hurricane-driven rainfall becomes more intense and reaches further inland, it’s clear that seeing the full picture requires a higher-definition lens,” said Maiclaire Bolton-Smith, vice president of insurance market insights of Cotality, in a news release. “By looking beyond traditional boundaries and analyzing structural elevation data down to the individual property level, we are expanding the view for homeowners and insurers to help prevent unexpected financial losses.”

Peter Burke sits in the living room of his flood damaged home in the Weatherhill Pointe neighborhood of Carrboro, N.C. on Friday August 15, 2025.
Peter Burke sits in the living room of his flood damaged home in the Weatherhill Pointe neighborhood of Carrboro, N.C. on Friday August 15, 2025. Robert Willett rwillett@newsobserver.com

Flooding outside high-risk zones

Between 1996 and 2020, about 43% of North Carolina buildings flooded outside high-risk zones, The News & Observer previously reported. Tropical Storm Chantal, the only storm to make landfall in the United States in 2025, displaced dozens of residents and resulted in more than $40 million in damages in central North Carolina.

Some residents told The News & Observer the aftermath, including outdated flood maps and trying to rebuild without insurance, was more challenging than the storm itself.

The National Weather Service is forecasting a below-average hurricane season, which begins June 1, but officials stressed even one storm can cause significant damage.

Reporter Chantal Allam contributed to this report.

Read Next
Read Next
Related Stories from Raleigh News & Observer
Anna Roman
The News & Observer
Anna Roman is a service journalism reporter for the News & Observer. She has previously covered city government, crime and business for newspapers across North Carolina and received many North Carolina Press Association awards, including first place for investigative reporting. 
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER