Local

Funeral arrangements set for Officer Torres, who was killed in Raleigh shooting

READ MORE


Raleigh mass shooting in Hedingham neighborhood

On Oct. 13, 2022, seven people were shot in Raleigh, NC, in the Hedingham neighborhood near the Neuse River Greenway Trail. Five were killed, including a Raleigh police officer. High school student Austin Thompson was charged with their murders. Read The News & Observer’s ongoing coverage of the mass shooting, Thompson’s guilty plea and ongoing civil lawsuit.

Expand All

Funeral arrangements have been announced for Raleigh Police officer Gabriel Torres, who was one of five people killed Thursday in a shooting rampage.

The Raleigh Police Department said the visitation will be held Friday with the funeral Saturday. Both will be in Raleigh. The services will be open to the public.

Torres, 29, was on his way to work Oct. 13 when he was shot and killed in the Hedingham neighborhood where he lived with his wife and child. Four other people were killed and two people were injured. The suspected shooter remains hospitalized with unidentified injuries.

The details are:

  • Visitation: Friday, Oct. 21, 4 to 7 p.m. Mitchell Funeral Home, 7029 Glenwood Ave., Raleigh
  • Funeral: Saturday, Oct. 22, 11 a.m. Cross Assembly Church, 2660 Yonkers Road, Raleigh.
  • The funeral will be livestreamed at the Cross Assembly Church YouTube page: https://youtu.be/App7-lHTQ5A

After the funeral, the procession will go to Brown-Wynne funeral home on St. Mary’s Street for a private event for the family.

Drivers should expect road closings and traffic delays on these roads on the processional’s route:

  • South of the church on Yonkers Road
  • West on New Bern Avenue.
  • Westbound New Bern Avenue onto East Edenton Street
  • Straight onto Hillsborough Street
  • North on to St. Mary’s Street
  • Arrival at 300 St. Mary’s St.

The city said Torres had been with the department for 18 months. Before that, Torres served as a Marine at Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville.

His military awards include a Good Conduct Medal, a National Defense Service Medal, a Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, a Humanitarian Service Medal and a Sea Service Deployment Ribbon.

A GoFundMe has been set up to help Torres’ family at gofundme.com/f/benefit-for-family-of-Officer-Torres.

The Raleigh Police Department asks those seeking to help Torres’ family email SupportRPD@raleighnc.gov.

The four other people killed were Mary Marshall, Nicole Connors, Susan Karnatz and James Thompson.

Senior Raleigh Police office Casey Joseph Clark was injured but has been released from the hospital. Marcille Gardner remains hospitalized.

Sources have confirmed to The News & Observer that the suspect is 15-year-old Austin Thompson, who is the brother of James Thompson. Austin Thompson is in critical condition at WakeMed.

Read Next

This story was originally published October 17, 2022 at 8:08 PM.

Jessica Banov
The News & Observer
Jessica Banov is a news editor and audience growth specialist at The News & Observer and The Herald-Sun. She was part of the team from The N&O and The Charlotte Observer that was named a 2025 Pulitzer Prize finalist for Breaking News for coverage of Hurricane Helene. She also serves as The N&O’s intern program coordinator. 
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER

Raleigh mass shooting in Hedingham neighborhood

On Oct. 13, 2022, seven people were shot in Raleigh, NC, in the Hedingham neighborhood near the Neuse River Greenway Trail. Five were killed, including a Raleigh police officer. High school student Austin Thompson was charged with their murders. Read The News & Observer’s ongoing coverage of the mass shooting, Thompson’s guilty plea and ongoing civil lawsuit.